The Throat Chakra is associated with communication that is purposeful and honest.
This chakra is associated with sound: talking and listening. A balanced Throat Chakra means using words that use value to communication. However it goes beyond speaking, it also involves listening effectively to truly hear others truth.
The Throat Chakra in short
Sanskrit name: Vishuddha
Location: Centrally, at base of neck
Main Issue: Communication, self-expression
When balanced: Resonant voice, good listener, good sense of timing and rhythm, clear communication
• Deficient: fear of speaking, small/weak voice, difficulty putting feelings into words, shyness, tone deaf
• Excess: too much talking, inability to listen, poor auditory comprehension, gossiping, interruptions
Physical manifestation: disorders of throat, ears and neck, tightness of the jaw
Yoga pose*: Salamba Sarvangasana (supported shoulderstand pose)
Balancing the Throat Chakra
Expressing your true intentions is important to you and those around you. Below are a few things you can do to bring about balance of the Throat Chakra:
- Hand-written affirmations celebrating your success;
- Display trophies, medal, certificates, etc that showcase some of your achievements;
- Wear a blue blazer; and
- Use a powder-blue notebook to write down all your notes.
Imbalance didn’t happen over night, so balance won’t either. Be patient with yourself and balance will come.
*Note: Practicing of this asana, in conjunction with others, encourages the balance of this chakra.