The sanskrit name of the second chakra, the Sacral Chakra, is Svadhisthana which translates to “sweetness”.
The Sacral Chakra,which has Water as its element, looks at fluidity and allowing the free flow of pleasure, sexuality and emotion. The chakra looks at encouraging individuals to live a life worth living. We live in a world that makes us feel guilty for not being productive 24/7. A balanced Sacral Chakra allows an individual to seek and enjoy a pleasurable life, and being willing to change to bring about this balance.
The Sacral Chakra in short
Sanskrit name: Svadhisthana
Location: Lower abdomen
Main Issue: Emotional balance/Sexuality
When balanced: graceful movement, emotional intelligence, healthy boundaries, ability to change
• Deficient: poor social skills, fear of change, denial of pleasure, rigidity in body and attitudes
• Excess: pleasure addiction, ruled by emotion, emotional dependency, obsessive attachment
Physical manifestation: menstrual difficulties, low back pain, lack of flexibility
Yoga pose*: Supta Virasana (reclining bound angle pose)
Balancing the Sacral Chakra
This chakra allows you to find pleasure in everyday activities, making life that much more exciting. Below are a few things you can do to bring about balance of the Sacral Chakra:
- Freely indulge in orange fruit and vegetables;
- Write yourself little love letters and read them often;
- Create a vision board of the sea side; and
- On your bedside table, place mementos that remind you of pleasure and fun.
Imbalance didn’t happen over night, so balance won’t either. Be patient with yourself and balance will come.
*Note: Practicing of this asana, in conjunction with others, encourages the balance of this chakra.