The first chakra, the Root Chakra, talks to the most basic human need: security.
The Root Chakra,which has the lowest vibration of all chakras, talks to basic human survival. With Earth being it’s element, the chakra is intrinsically linked to gravity. It constantly pulls us down, keeping us grounded and connected with our physical existence.
The Root Chakra in short
Sanskrit name: Muladhara
Location: Base of the spine
Main Issue: Survival/Physical needs
When balanced: good health, vitality, feeling of safety and security, stability
• Deficient: underweight, fearful, poor focus and discipline, poor boundaries
• Excess: overeating, greed, rigid boundaries, material fixation
Physical manifestation: bowel disorders, eating disorders, frequent illness
Yoga pose*: Malasana (garland pose)
Balancing the Root Chakra
Balancing a chakra may sound like a difficult task, especially for those who have just begun their yoga journey. However there are little things you can do to encourage the balance of the Root Chakra. Here is a list of a few things you can include in your daily activities to balance this chakra:
- Place red flowers on your office desk;
- Wear your Manchester United jersey:) (or any other red item of clothing that you love);
- Opt for a red notebook as your year planner; and
- Eat red food items e.g. strawberries or red apples.
Imbalance didn’t happen over night, so balance won’t either. Be patient with yourself and balance will come.
*Note: Practicing of this asana, in conjunction with others, encourages the balance of this chakra.